An official website of the United States government
Here's how you know
A .mil website belongs to an official U.S. Department of Defense organization in the United States.
A lock (lock ) or https:// means you’ve safely connected to the .mil website. Share sensitive information only on official, secure websites.

Sailors sit a consoles as an instructor points something out on a screen.
Naval Education and Training Command does not verify training.

Service members and veterans have the following self-verification options to provide education verification for potential employers or educational institutions.

The official record of training completed and duty stations assigned is the DD-214 form, which a veteran receives upon their discharge. Information on how veterans request their DD-214 is available through Veterans Affairs at

The VMET, DD Form 2586, helps service members verify previous experience and training to potential employers, negotiate credits at schools and obtain certificates or licenses. It is not an official transcript for purposes of granting college credit, but it can be used to support having met training and/or course requirements to qualify for civilian occupations, certificates, licenses, or programs of study.

It is obtained from Clicking “Download your VMET” takes you to milConnect, and once logged in, a service member/veteran can go to Correspondence/Documentation in the menu, and choose DoD Transition Assistance Program for Service Members and Veterans (DoDTAP) to access VMET documents including the DD-2586 and a cover letter explaining the VMET. The military experience and training listed on the VMET is verified as official.

The VMET document contains Privacy Act data and cannot be sent to third parties – it must be provided by the individual. It is not a transcript.  More information is available at

The JST from is an academically accepted document approved by the American Council on Education (ACE) to validate a service member's military occupational experience and training along with the corresponding ACE college credit recommendations. The individual can request online delivery to post-secondary institutions or complete an "Official JST Consent and Request Form" at with the employer information and email to

Naval Education and Training Command does not confer degrees.
The Navy’s higher education institutions, which do not fall under NETC, may be contacted for enrollment and degree verification.

U.S. Naval Academy Office of the Registrar:
U.S. Naval War College Registrar’s Office:
Naval Postgraduate School Office of the Registrar:
United States Naval Community College Consortium Information:
Guidance-Card-Icon Dept-Exclusive-Card-Icon